Are space heaters safe? Space heaters are beneficial for many reasons. They can keep you warm when your home isn’t producing enough heat. However, they also come with many safety risks that you should be aware of when operating them. Space heaters can cause house fires if proper precautions are not taken. Continue reading to find out how you can operate them in a safe, but efficient way.
Tips for Using a Space Heater Safely
If you would like to know how to use space heater models, here are some tips you can follow to ensure your and your household’s safety.
- Always ensure that the space heater is never put on a table. If you place it on a table, make sure the surface is non-combustible. For the most part, space heaters are meant to operate on the floor.
- If you have kids and pets, avoid placing a space heater near them or directly in their room. Maintain a three-foot distance from your kids and pets.
- When a space heater is in use, it should also be kept away from furniture, beds, and window curtains. Remember, three feet is the desired distance.
- Never use your space heater close to gas cans, paint, matches, or anything that is considered flammable. If you are using it in the garage, be sure it is kept far from these things.
- Never leave a space heater running while sleeping or unattended.
- If you are not using the space heater, keep it unplugged. Every so often, you should inspect the space heater plug for damage. If you do happen to notice any type of damage to the cord, avoid using it.
- To avoid overuse of an outlet, never share any other device with that of a space heater. This is a great fire risk.
- Ensure that your fire alarms are operating effectively with working batteries. You should check them once a month.
When purchasing a space heater for the first time, you should always ensure that it contains important safety features. You want to confirm that the space heater has the appropriate certification attached to it. A good space heater has good safety features to turn off the device. For example, in the event your space heater gets too hot, there should be a feature that automatically turns off the heater. Additionally, you’ll want to make sure it features an option in the event the space heater gets knocked over.
Don’t forget to check for a space heater with a hefty cord that is long enough. This can keep your space heater from getting too hot. Remember, never plug a space heater into a power strip.
There are resources you can use to help you determine the safest space heater to purchase. Out of all of the space heaters available on the market today, 49 models received high regard for their safety in preventing fires. Make sure you look for a space heater that has excellent or good ratings.
Categorised in: Heating Systems
This post was written by admin